I have been looking into De Montfort University Leicester (http://www.dmu.ac.uk/courses/game-art-design-16)
- The most popular game art course in the UK
- The only Skillset-accredited game art course in England
- Our graduates make the games you play (Aliens vs Predator, Assassin’s Creed 2, Colin McRae Dirt, Dead Rising 2, Guitar Hero, Infamous, Killzone 3, Lost Planet 2, Operation Flashpoint 2, Rogue Warrior, Uncharted 2, Warhawk)
- Leads to successful careers in games, creative visualisation and CGI, including 3D modeller and texture artist, technical artist, visual effects artist, concept artist, GUI artist, texture artist
- Two-thirds of our graduates last year got jobs in the games industry within three months of graduating
Dear Federico
Thank you for your application for BA(Hons) Game Art Design (W291) at De Montfort University (DMU). We are pleased that you are considering DMU as a place to study.
Because this course is very popular, we are unable to interview all applicants. We would therefore like to see some examples of your portfolio work and, if this review is successful, we will invite you to interview.
Please send your work on a CD/DVD by Friday 11 February 2011, clearly marked with your name, contact details and course to:
Admissions Team
Faculty of Art and Design
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester, LE1 9BH
UK
Once we receive your CD/DVD it will be reviewed by an admissions tutor and we may then invite you to attend an interview. On the interview day, you will also have the chance to tour the facilities, discover more about courses and meet the tutors.
If you have any further queries, please contact us by email on artanddesign@dmu.ac.uk or phone (0116) 257 7555.
The University is committed to providing appropriate support for applicants and students with a range of physical and sensory disabilities, medical conditions and specific learning differences (SpLD). So we can co-ordinate the university support needed to facilitate your studies, we need to know if you have a disability at the earliest stage. If you have not already informed us, please contact us so we can discuss any individual support arrangements as soon as possible.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Best wishes,
Admissions Team
Faculty of Art and Design
I sent them a CD and a week or so later I received a letter informing me that my application was unsuccessful.
I also liked the look of Hertfordshire's course (http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/3D-Games-Art.cfm) but sadly I got declined. They did offer the chance for me to send them some work in an email, but that was also unsuccessful. Here's what they said:
Hello Federico
I have reviewed the work you have sent to me and I'm very sorry to say that it does not reach the standards that we require to gain entry to the Animation Programme at the University of Hertfordshire. This does not mean that you will not get offered a place elsewhere; we have very exacting standards, most courses in the UK will not require art and software skills at our level to gain entry. If you wish to re-apply to us in a year's time, I would advise you to study an Art Foundation course that teaches a lot of life drawing and perspective knowledge, colour theory and composition. Practice your 3D art skills at the same time. Your anatomy knowledge/foreshortening/ proportions all need improvement, and that will probably only come with tuition and lots of practice of drawing the human form from life. Your still life images are fairly well observed, but I would need to see some good quality life drawing, some 3D models, some perspective drawing (two point or higher) of environments and then I would consider reviewing your work again.
I realise that this is a disappointing result to hear, and I'm sorry to tell you this, however if you do want to study animation this September I'm sure there will be a degree in the UK that you will be able to gain entry to.
Good luck with your future study
Once finished with university education I am thinking of going to Singapore to further my abilities in design with a 6 week long course in entertainment design at the Feng Zhu School. (http://www.fzdschool.com/)